How to winterproof your workplace to avoid slip and fall insurance claims against your business during the winter months.
- Keep parking lots cleared of snow and ice, including sidewalks; have a snow & ice removal and salting schedule in place.
- Clear roofs from heavy snow to prevent ice dams and collapses.
- Ensure that building overhangs, roof edges, and canopies are cleared of snow and ice build-up to prevent potential injuries from falling ice and icicles.
- Be sure that snow is promptly cleared from the following additional areas: hydrants, stairways, ramps, entrances, emergency exits, driveways, heating & ventilation equipment.
- If you are utilizing an outside contractor for snow removal be sure to have a written contract which clearly outlines the contractor’s responsibilities and holds you harmless if someone slips and falls.
- Make sure heating is provided in uninsulated or vacant spaces.
- Thermostats should be set at 55 degrees Fahrenheit or higher to prevent freezing pipes.
- Space heaters should be PROHIBITED due to the risk of fire.
Download a PDF of this list to place at your business here.